We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through our links. At no additional cost to you by the way! Read our Affiliate Disclosure policy to learn more.
These days, many people include a paracord bracelet in their survival kit. A paracord in essence is what connects a parachutist to his/her parachute and is the lifeline of paratroopers the world over. Parachute cord has found its way into the commercial market due to the thousands of uses a high-quality cord has in a field or survival environment.
Why is Paracord so popular?
Parachute cord or ‘paracord’ as it is more commonly referred to can and has been used in a variety of ways. Its initial design function was in the construction of parachutes in World War 2. Each line of paracord is made of continuous filament nylon outside covering and seven high-strength inner nylon cords.
Every single line of paracord has a tensile strength tested to 550 pounds and is designed to last. That’s why it is also commonly referred to as a 550 (para)cord. US military-grade paracord is widely considered the best quality paracord on the market. This reputation has been achieved largely due to the fact that American manufacturers conform to design specifications defined by the US military (MIL-C-5040).
|Type||Minimum strength||Minimum elongation||Minimum length per pound of cord||Core yarns||Sheath structure|
|I||95 pounds (43 kg)||30%||950 feet per pound (640 m/kg)||1||16/1|
|IA||100 pounds (45 kg)||30%||1,050 feet per pound (710 m/kg)||<no core>||16/1|
|II||400 pounds (180 kg)||30%||265 feet per pound (178 m/kg)||4 to 7||32/1 or 36/1|
|IIA||225 pounds (102 kg)||30%||495 feet per pound (333 m/kg)||<no core>||32/1 or 36/1|
|III||550 pounds (250 kg)||30%||225 feet per pound (151 m/kg)||7 to 9||32/1 or 36/1|
|IV||750 pounds (340 kg)||30%||165 feet per pound (111 m/kg)||11||32/1, 36/1, or 44/1|
Definitely more than just parachute cord (paracord), it’s regarded today as an iconic military rope for any situation requiring lightweight cordage. Whether you’re camping, hiking, hunting, or making up a survival kit, you would be at a disadvantage if you did not include a paracord as an extra piece in your survival kit.
What is 550 Paracord or a Paracord Bracelet Used For?
So, what are the many uses of paracord? The answer is pretty much anything and everything, mainly limited by a person’s imagination to use the product. Broken shoelaces up a mountain? The outer sheath makes excellent boot laces and will most likely outlast the originals that came with the boots. Need some quick thread? The inner cores are great for impromptu fishing lines or first aid. Need some lashing for a tarp shelter? Again, take out the inner strands and you have all the cord that you need!
Need to fix the Space Shuttle on its second mission (No not a joke, paracord was actually used to repair the Space Shuttle in 1997). It sounds a bit ridiculous but paracord is so useful for replacing everything that it is even now used in space. Back on earth, a broken gear strap on your kayak, making a field repair to your backpack, or making an impromptu rope for a bear bag.
Uses for 550 paracords are endless and are often limited by a person’s imagination. Below are a few more ideas:
- Ridgeline for Tarps/Bashers
- Shoe & Bootlaces
- Repairing Equipment
- Bottle Holder
- Securing Equipment
- Zipper Pulls
- Hanging Food from Bears
- Washing Lines
- Making a Fire
- Bow Handle
- String for a Bow
- Trail Marking
- Shelter Making
- Surfing/Snowboarding leashes
- Hammock Making
- Kite Surfing/Wind Surfing
- Fish Nets
- Whip Making
- Weapon Straps
- Fishing Line
- Dental Floss
- Sewing fabric together
- Small twine for whipping ends of larger cord
- Emergency Stitches
And there are so many other situations in which a 550 paracord can be a lifesaver.
A Paracord Survival Bracelet in its simplest form it’s a single piece of 550 Type III paracord knotted into a bracelet. Many unique designs and interpretations are made today and similar to any product today, the quality of the product will vary.
As you can see, if you have a paracord survival bracelet on your wrist and you find yourself in a situation that requires some light cordage, simply unbraid the bracelet and you have one continuous foot piece of cord (up to 24 feet).
Many army units have fashioned parachute cords into bracelets denoting their unit and geographical area of deployment. This reflects both the comfortable texture of the nylon rope and its place as a military icon.
- 5-IN-1 SURVIVAL TOOL: K2-peak is a complete paracord survival bracelet - Disaster Preparedness Kit - Emergency Kit that includes: High-Quality Compass. Flint Fire Starter. Fire Scrapper, use it also as Emergency Knife. Emergency Whistle creates noise levels of up to 100db. Comes with a useful leaflet with instructions, survival tips & ideas.
- SIZES THAT FITS EVERYBODY: For Men Women Teens Kids We provide 4 Fixed Sizes + 1 Adjustable size. Fixed Size variations: 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 inches. Adjustable Size variations fits all wrist sizes between 8 - 9,5 inches. Please check the size instruction image, measure your wrist & be sure that you selecting the right variation before ordering. Please notice both bracelets in each set are the same size.
- UNMATCHED POWER & VERSATILITY yet FASHIONABLE & FUNCTIONAL: Wide Range of Colors, made of ultra-strong, military-grade 550 Parachute Cord, buckle with built-in Compass, Fire-Starter, Emergency Blade & Whistle. Emergency gear necessary for everyone.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Make the A2S Paracord Bracelet an indispensable survival accessory for any camping, fishing, hiking or hunting trip. MAGNESIA ROD (Flint Fire Starter) gives you a secure solution when lighting a fire is a matter of an emergency. Rub the rod to the to get spark and fire under any weather conditions. Please check the fire starter instructions image.
- TESTED FOR EXCELLENCE: Has been tried & tested to a minimum breaking point of 550lbs/250kg. Deploy your 12 FEET OF PARACORD in any situation where an extremely strong rope or cordage is needed. Use it as a trap, make a shelter, or use one of the finer SEVEN INNER STRANDS as FIRE TINDER; FISHING LINE or SEWING STRING.
- UNIQUE DESIGN -This Braided Friendship Bracelets come in a set of 2 which makes them not only the perfect gift for outdoor enthusiasts but also for best friends or couples. Thanks to the sleek design the bracelets will appeal to both men and women alike. Makes a thoughtful gift for the person you want to keep close no matter where they are
- 100% HANDMADE BRACELET - The Multicolored Waterproof Bracelet are made of High Quality Wax String + Paracord Rope ,No Smell; Adjustable Length (7.2 -10.5 inch,width-0.4 inch) One size fits all By Pulling The rope
- BRACELET FOR EVERYONE –This Unisex Paracord Bracelet are perfectly woven into the soft cords, lightweight, Simplistic and Stylish, Catch More Eyes on You. Simple Woven bracelet come in vibrant designs that are worn and loved by Teens, Girls & Boys!
- PERFECT JEWELRY GIFT - Your purchase will include one gift bag, perfect for your Son, Daughter, Father, Friends, Lovers, Couples.Ideal Birthday Gifts,Back to School,Anniversary Gifts,Graduation Gifts, Thanksgiving gift, Christmas Gifts, New Year Gifts, Party Gifts, etc
- Sale Service for Cool Bracelet - We take a lot of pride in our work and we always aim to provide the highest quality products that we can! IF You Have any QUESTIONS with the Bracelet, Feel free to let me know
- OUTDOOR EDGE SIGNATURE PARACLAW SURVIVAL BRACELET: Easy to deploy utility and survival knife always at the ready.
- 550 HEAVY DUTY PARACORD -- Bracelet is approximately 1 1/4 inches wide by 1/2 inch tall
- HAWKBILL BLADE: 1.5 inches long, 8CR13MoV stainless steel
- GLASS/NYLON CLIP AND KNIFE GUARD
- WRIST SIZES: SMALL 5.75 to 6.5 inches, MEDIUM 6.25 to 7.0 inches, LARGE 7.0 to 8.0 inches
Paracord is without question one of the most versatile pieces of equipment you can take to the field. It’s light, it’s convenient and it’s super tough. Paracord survival bracelets are in use by security forces in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as by law enforcement personnel across the USA.
Although the paracord bracelets share a common knotting technique, the design can vary a great deal. It is possible to weave two, three, and even four colors into a paracord bracelet with the option of a buckle or knot(s) to secure around the wrist.
550 paracord is a must-have item for the outdoors person, and every grab-and-go bag or survival kit should contain at least 50 feet. There are literally thousands of uses for 550 paracords or paracord bracelets, listed here are just a few: boot laces, shelter support, clothesline, and suspenders. Paracord can be used again and again.
Paracord bracelets are relatively cheap and most of them include other tools like a compass as well. If you’re spending time outdoors or making up a survival or first aid kit for a trip, a Paracord Survival Bracelet is a useful method of carrying a paracord with you.