We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through our links. At no additional cost to you by the way! Read our Affiliate Disclosure policy to learn more.
Today we’ll discuss the PSE Fang, which is a budget 405 fps crossbow with an adjustable stock and a good scope for a crossbow in this price range.
A little bit about the brand. PSE Archery is an American company that was founded by Pete Shepley in 1970. He decided to take his love of archery from a hobby to a full-time profession. They have been manufacturing hunting equipment for decades now, getting better at it every time. Today, they are one of the leading brands in the industry.
PSE is committed to pushing the industry forward with its way of designing crossbows. Pete Shepley once said; “Research and development are the most expensive stages in manufacturing, but we’re committed to it and to making the whole industry grow, not just our slice of the pie.”
The crossbows that PSE produces are always very well designed and constructed, they come with a lot of high tech features that other brands will ask a lot of money for. I’ve always had a soft spot for PSE hunting gear so I was really excited to get my hands on the Fang. The HD package is filled with everything you’ll need to use the Fang optimally.
In this review I will discuss al its features and we tested the crossbow extensively in the field!
PSE Fang HD Specs
- HDV 425 1.5-5X32 variable zoom illuminated reticle scope
- 5-bolt quiver
- three-22” carbon bolts with bullet points
- adjustable buttstock
- foot stirrup
- limb dampeners & string silencers
- dual – string stops
- rail lube
- cocking rope
- cocking winch device
- replacement bolts 1/2 DZ: 1960THU22FM
Size and Weight
The Fang has a full length of 35.5 inches and a width of 18 inches(axle-to-axle.) Once cocked the crossbow has an axle to axle width of 14 inches. The crossbow tips our scales at 7.3 pounds.
Design and Construction
The Fang has composite stock and limbs. The crossbow is durable and built to last in tough hunting conditions. The stock is adjustable for a good fit. The pistol grip fits hunting gloves and feels comfortable to hold.
The crossbow has a reverse cam design, this increases power and speed while keeping the build of the crossbow compact. This helps a lot if you want to take accurate shots in tight spaces.
The crossbow has an awesome looking camouflage, called TrueTimber Viper. The camouflage allows you to blend into your environment so you’re less likely to be spotted by your prey.
Speed and Arrows
We used the 22-inch Carbon Bolts(125 grains) that were included in the package to test the Fang. Our chronograph measured speeds up to 405.2 fps,
The Fang comes with the HDV 425 1.5-5X32 variable zoom illuminated reticle scope and dots for fine precision shooting. The scope is very accurate and works especially well in dark environments. The scope has no fish eye and the glass is crystal clear. For a budget scope, it is a fine scope that doesn’t disappoint.
Assembly and Storage
Some assembly is required. The limbs, quiver, and scope do not come attached to the stock. The HD package has a user manual that explains how to properly install the crossbow.
The Fang is suitable for beginners because the rope draw cocking system is very safe. It can be de-cocked without firing a shot. The crossbow takes 205 pounds to cock. The last couple of inches or so are a bit tough. Luckily, PSE provided the HD package with a detachable cocking crack. The crossbow also has a padded stirrup that you can use when cocking the bow.
Testing and Shooting
I like the feel of the trigger and the automatic safety works very well. The trigger contains dry fire prevention tech. The Fang HD has a 14.5-inch power stroke and a draw weight of 205 pounds. the crossbow shoots arrows with speeds up to 405 feet per second with a lot of knockdown power.
The scope works great, especially in situations where light is absent. The Fang is very much suited for big game hunting.
The PSE Fang HD Crossbow is a 405 fps fast budget-friendly crossbow that is well constructed, durable , accurate, and functions properly. Just don’t expect the accuracy and high tech features that the expensive crossbows offer. I can recommend the PSE Fang HD for beginners with a limited budget. You won’t find a better 405 fps entry-model crossbow for under $400 and the crossbow is made in the good old USA!
- Bow specifications: Speed: Up To 405 FPS. Power Stroke: 14.5” Axle-to-Axle: 18” Draw Weight: 205 LBS Overall Length: 35.5” Mass Weight: 7.3 LBS. KE: 134 FT. LBS. Cable: 19.7” String: 37.2
- Unbeatable accuracy: The allure of The Fang HD is it’s incredible accuracy;Our crossbow hunting scope uses reverse cam technology which increases power and speed with a slim profile, allowing you to shoot and aim more easily
- Anti-dry fire & auto safety triggers: All of our ten-point crossbows for hunting are equipped with an Anti-Dry Trigger System which eliminates the risk of dry fires; The Fang HD crossbow can easily be de-cocked without firing an arrow which makes it extremely safe to be used by both pros or beginners
- Performance and value with big speed: The Fang HD high performance cams launch arrows toward your target at speeds up to 405 fps with 134 ft. lbs. of energy; A powerful hunting tool at a great price
- Crossbow package includes: HDV 425 1.5-5x32 Variable Zoom Illuminated Reticle Scope; 5-Bolt Quiver. Anti-dry Fire & Auto Safety Trigger. Three-22” Carbon Bolts With Bullet Points. Adjustable Buttstock; Foot Stirrup. Limb Dampers & String Silencers; Dual String Stops. Rail Lube. Cocking Rope
Arrows & Broadheads
We’d recommend REEGOX crossbow bolts. These budget bolts come cheap but they are fine bolts that meet the Diablo’s specifications. Pair them with Sinbadteck Hunting Broadheads.
Storage and Transportation
I recommend buying a crossbow case, to carry the crossbow on hunting trips. The Precision Deluxe Case is a fine budget crossbow case. You can also use the big stirrup to hang the crossbow in an appropriate place.
There is no sling included in the package. If you want a crossbow sling to comfortably carry the Fang HD, I’d recommend buying a Southland Archery universal crossbow sling.
Another budget 400+ fps crossbow you can check out is the Empire Beast from SA Sports, you can read the review of the Empire Beast here.
Our Rating of the PSE Fang HD
What we like
- 405 fps
- Adjustable stock
What we don’t like
- Cocking weight might be too much for some but the detachable cocking crank makes it easier